Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Fooling around with the D-90 and 80-400mm lens.

Wild life, two words.

Great Blue Heron searching for food.








Oops, he came up with nothing after all that time and work invested.





Here he had moved over a few feet and came up with ........ a leaf. No entitlement programs here, so he moved on and was fishing another spot the last I saw him. You work, or you don't eat.


This guy just doesn't want me to photograph him so he keeps swimming further out whenever I get near, but I'll keep trying. I prefer photographing animals in their natural environment as opposed to shooting in the zoo, but zoo photography can be fun, I just credit the zoo. So far I haven't "shot" any captive animals. It seems to me that would be like hunting over a baited field, therefore not as challenging. I think I would give credit to the organization that owned the animal though, and certainly wouldn't try to pass it off as being "in the wild." Nothing wrong with that if that's what you prefer, it's just not my style. I'm not sure my photoshop techniques are good enough to clone the tethers off the birds feet either. And if an owner does pose his animal for you, do you say "cheese" before snapping the shutter?


Just some pesky geese in a nice reflection. Nature is beautiful, even on a dreary day.

3 comments:

  1. Great series of photos Kelvin. Your photos show the richness in dreary day subjects and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a fun morning on this dreary day. You don't get these reflections at the zoo!
    Love the heron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful work. I truly enjoy looking at your pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete