Thursday, September 2, 2010

Success, of a sort

Another trip out to the cove on a very quiet morning. Fish were literally jumping out of the water. While I normally like to set the ASA to 800 max for moving birds, the lower light called for bumping it up to 1600. The D-300 doesn't perform that well at 1600, in my opinion, but I thought I'd give it a try. With aperture control set, the shutter speed registered 250 sec., while 500 sec. is usually the slowest I like to see, but..............



The shutter speed was almost fast enough to catch a sharp eye on the heron rising up out of the water with a fish.



This guy actually ran on top of the water with a little lift from his wings.




Back to the safety of the dock with the catch,


and then a post breakfast fly-over.




These guys are cool.

Since I had the spot to myself with out the presence of even a solitary fisherman fishing on the banks, I'm sure there could have been a lot more opportunities. My back was hurting though, so I decided to call it a day. All in all, not too bad for a little over an hours worth of work. 

2 comments:

  1. Correction: It should read "aperture priority" instead of aperture control. Had to think and type at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos Kelvin from an hours work! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete